Sunday, December 9, 2012

Well, then, go to a Museum

After listening to some comments by Jack and the gang on an uncontrolledairspace.com podcast a year or two ago. I got to thinking about supporting Aviation Museums. There was a general lament that there didn't seem to be a single location where one could find a list of all the Aviation Museums.

Well, I thought a list was a great idea. I also thought, that's not something I want to get distracted with. But, I could certainly hook such a list into maps.AvnWx.com, displaying info about museums directly on the map.

Lucky for me, Adam Fast had a similar idea at about the same time. Even better, he wanted to put together such a list. His hard work has resulted in museums.aero. Visit his site and you'll see over 250 museums from around the world. There's also an interface with which you can add museums or link to reviews for existing museums.

Air Museum

Adam and I traded an interface and the result is his list feeds my map. As you can see in the screenshot above, mousing over a Museum icon will display some basic information. There are links to the Museum's home site, to its entry on Adam's www.museums.aero, and to the museum's entry in Wikipedia, if one exists. Some entries, such as the one above, will display a brief description.

Via the API I update a local database nightly. Therefore as museums are added, we'll get them added automatically to the map within 24 hours. So don't hold back: Visit a museum, blog a review, and link it into museums.aero.

No comments:

Post a Comment